The Roads and Maritime Services of NSW are building the final section of the Newcastle Inner City Bypass from Rankin Park to Jesmond. At the northern interchange, the current plans are to remove the shared cycle/foot path between Jesmond Park and Jesmond and replace it with with not one, not two but three signal crossings, over eight lanes of traffic!
The overwhelming desire of the community is that the existing path (which has been used since 1949 when the tramline was removed) be retained as a continuous off road route via an underpass, or combination of underpass and overhead bridges. The Roads and Maritime Services have received many submissions over the past few years relating to their plans but they have not made a serious attempt to solve the problem of retaining the path. There are plenty of alternative possibilities for retaining the shared path, but the RMS seem to be not interested in listening and are intent on destroying this community facility.
The final review process is underway. Public submissions to the Department of Planning and Environment in response to the EIS closed on 16th December 2016.
Call to action
Express your displeasure at the current plans by making an online submission, or you can kiss your path goodbye.Too late now.
Attend the last drop-in information session to be held Thursday 1 December 2016 between 3pm-6pm at Silver Ridge Community Cottage, 13 Iranda Grove, Wallsend.Too late now.
- Contact your local State member of parliament.
- Contact your local City of Newcastle councillor.
- Contact the mainstream media:
- Ring your local radio station.
- Write a letter to the local newspaper.
- Add comments to the websites or Facebook pages of the media.
- Add a comment to any of the pages on this site.
- Talk to your friends, acquaintances, work colleagues, to let them know about this issue and this site.
- Use social media, blogs, websites to link to this site. It would be great if this site appears near the top of the search results list when people Google the bypass project.
- Suggest other action that could be taken.
- Suggest to me ways in which this website could be improved, or send me content to add to the site. (See “About this site” for contact details.)